I’m so not ready to give up summer – or summer fashion! As those of you who know me personally or have been following along here on the blog or on Instagram, I am a die-hard summer gal! But since fall is right around the corner, even I know there comes a time that we must start transitioning our fashion sense to be aligned with the sartorial gods.
Though I’m still not ready to put on pants or anything insane like that (lol), I’ve found a way to creep my wardrobe into cooler territories while staying true to my signature feminine style. My ideal summer-to-fall fashion formula consists of a perfect pair of cognac peep-toe booties like these from Payless ShoeSource, dressed up with a flirty dress. These booties have a 3.5” block heel, which make my feet so so happy and comfortable when adventuring in the city. I’ve been wearing them over and over recently because they’re just so easy to throw on with pretty much anything. I love the peep-toe design because it lends just the right amount of summer style, and can be easily transitioned to cooler temps when worn with skinny jeans or pants.
But my fave way to show these booties off? With a short skirt, of course! The shorter the better, in my opinion, or perhaps a statement floral maxi dress (my dress from GS-LOVE is sold out, similar style linked here and more options at the end of this post) with a slit that shows off those gams – because now’s the time you can still get away with bare legs without getting weird looks from passers-by!
Get more of my transitional summer-to-fall fashion tips here!
*created in partnership with Payless ShoeSource.
Can you believe it’s already the second week of September? I don’t know if it’s because of having a new babe in the household, but this summer seemed to fly by extra fast. I’ve always loved dresses (see this post here), and this summer I’ve basically lived in one almost everyday. (Except for those times when I’m trying to keep you guys on your toes, like by wearing shorts or jeans!!)
Here I am wearing two of my favorite summer dresses, and then showing how they can be transitioned for fall. Before. After. Boom. Living in Chi-town, you can sure bet that I’m gonna stretch the life out of these summer babies for as long as I can! Here are five easy tips to take your summer dress (or any other summer favorite) into fall:
1. Add a layer. Jackets, vests, trenches, sweaters, and repeat.
2. Swap open toes for booties. When in doubt, add ankle booties. Bonus points if it has fringe!
3. Embrace denim. Tie that jean jacket around your waist! Drape it over the shoulder!
4. Reach for the summer dresses that have richer tones. I’m particularly lusting over wine, navy and hunter green this season. If you want to be non-traditional and wear your white dress after Labor Day, go for it – see tip 5!
5. Pair with cozy accessories and textures. Blanket scarves, anyone? All your whites will start looking fall appropriate if you pair with textures and accessories that sing of apple picking and pumpkin chai lattes.
Hope this inspires you to think outside the box and remix some of your old favorites in new ways!
Look 1: Before
Look 1: After
Look 2: Before
Look 2: After
What I Wore-
Red dress-Urban Outfitters
Denim jacket (old, but similar here)
Boots (old, but similar here)